Your entry into Germany should be as smoothly as possible. Please find below all necessary information about the visa application process matching the local requirements. This information is exclusive.
Online Booking of an Appointment
To apply for a visa you need an appointment. The booking of an appointment is exclusively done by using the German Embassy’s online booking system for short term visa (Schengen-Visa) as well as long term visa (3 months and longer). Please note that each applicant needs to book an individual appointment. It is not possible to book one appointment for more than one person at a time. If you intend to travel in a group you will also have to book individual appointments. The online booking of an appointment is free of charge.
Appointment-System of the German Foreign Office
- Travel purpose: business trip, visit of friend/relative or tourism
- Maximum period of stay is 90 days within 6 months
- If you plan to travel to only one Schengen country you have to submit your application at the respective country's Embassy. When there are more than one Schengen countries you have to submit it at the Embassy of the country where you intend to stay the longest time.
Ethiopian passport holders who are travelling via an airport in one of the Schengen countries in order to reach their final destination outside the Schengen region only require a transit visa if they do not hold a valid visa for an EU Member State or for a State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area of 2 May 1992, Canada, Japan, or the United States of America.
Ethiopian passport holders require a national visa (residence permit) for the following purposes:
- Family reunion
- Spouses reunion
- Join your spouse who is recognized in Germany as refugee or asylum seeker
- Join your parent who is recognized in Germany as refugee or asylum seeker
- Reunion with adoptive parents
- Join your Fiancé/e
- Studies at a university
- National visa
- Au-Pair stays
Please note that the processing time for national visa varies and can take up to several months as immigration authorities in Germany have to be contacted.
Residence Permit for Family Reunion (Children) [pdf, 249.63k]
Information on Visa to Join your Spouse [pdf, 250.32k]
Visa to join your spouse who is recognized in Germany as refugee or asylum seeker [pdf, 248.98k]
Visa to join your parent who is recognized in Germany as refugee or asylum seeker [pdf, 249.7k]
Residence Permit for Adopted Children [pdf, 83.95k]
Information on Visa to join your Fiancé/e [pdf, 252.38k]
Visa for Studies in Germany [pdf, 245.74k]
Visa for Au-Pair Stays [pdf, 245.23k]
Application Form for National Visa [pdf, 192.13k]
Attachment to Visa Application (to be filled in) [pdf, 130.25k]